“Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.” -Leonard Cohen
Poetry and nature are good medicine. The joy of writing poems isn’t something that belongs only to a select few. Everybody holds a treasure trove of poetry just waiting to be tapped and nature beckons as a mirror inviting exploration. This workshop is for anyone who would like to explore the poetry that lives within them with the help of wild nature. Through reflection, group activities, and writing exercises, you will be guided to explore and create simple poems that tap into the earth as poet and the music of your hidden self.
IN THIS ADVENTURE INTO NATURE AND POETRY YOU WILL:
* Learn techniques for cultivating your natural poetic creativity
* Learn to see nature as a mirror for reflecting what lives inside you
* Explore different poetic forms, style, and images
* Sharpen your senses as a guide to sharpen your writing
* Be inspired by the poetry of your peers
* Cultivate a deeper connection with nature
* Deepen your capacity to slow down to hear what is authentic
For both new and experienced poets, and anyone who loves nature and likes to play with words. Space is limited to 10 participants.
Please bring: water and a snack, a blanket and/or seat, pen/pencil & paper, an item that appeals to your inner poet to set in the circle. Come dressed to spend the entire time outdoors.
Spring 2018 Dates and Locations:
May 5 (9am-12:30 pm) – American River Parkway, Carmichael [800 Jacob Lane, Carmichael]
Date TBD (9am-12:30 pm) – Redwood Regional Park, Oakland [Skyline Gate Staging Area)
Stay tuned for more 2018 dates.